Higgs Hunters Talk

Missing trails, tracks, trajectories etc of muons.

• DiNapoli by DiNapoli

When there's a muon detected in the muon detector but the track it should follow (the straight green line) is missing Is it worth mentioning? It would save a lot of time if I (or/and others) could skip those when I'm browsing through al the images.

Posted

• markbakovic by markbakovic

if you mean the red "muon track" indicator block has been added by the computer and the green line is missing either: mention it if the result is only one green-lined muon (or none) or "up to you" if it's in addition to the two green-lined muons (extra detected muons usually don't get green lines so it's not unusual).

If you mean you can see the little orange coloured dots in the muon detector panels definitely don't worry about them (unless there's a high concentration or otherwise strangeness) because many extra "hits" are registered in each event: most are either low energy or not reconcilable to a track from the collision point or just detector errors, and in any case uninteresting.

Posted

• DiNapoli by DiNapoli in response to markbakovic's comment.

Thanx for the reaction.
    What I mean precisely are the cases where you see a protoncollision with produces 2 muons wich are detected in the muondetector (blue outer ring/cirkel). So you see the two red rectangulars/"muon track" indicator blocks as you name it In the picture bút for one of them the *track Is missing (*The straight green line). An example: http://talk.higgshunters.org/#/subjects/AHH0001aqc where you can see what I mean at 50° In the muondetector. In this case I wonder if it Is necessary to mark the missing line as "something weird".

Posted

• markbakovic by markbakovic

I wouldn't mark that as "Something weird", personally, or even comment on it. The green tracks are added in by the computer (and can be useful in slice and zoom views where we don't see the indicator blocks), but if they are absent it doesn't mean much for the data as far as I know.

Posted

• DiNapoli by DiNapoli

Thank you markbakovic that helps a lot. I'll stop tagging these then.

Posted