Higgs Hunters Talk

• 1010101 by 1010101

i am disapointed with the discription of ( centre point) in the use of the classifiying of the :higgs Hunters: page....
    one more than one occasion i have been unable to disqunishe the exact center point , to enable me to more exactly classify the lines drawn on the graph....

i would like a more exact centre point made to exactly let me know what point i schould be scanning the lines from ,

any comments would be greatefully appricated.. thanks,

Posted

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator in response to 1010101's comment.

One nice way to see the exact center is to check any of the discussion pages for an object. Switch to the "Slice" view. There you will see several clusters of lines that run horizontally. That is the center, and I think the inside of the first detector is around 5 millimeters from the beam line.

The bottom quark, for example, travels around 3mm before it decays within the detector. This discussion shows you what that looks like in the detector.

The ATLAS detector is represented with an extreme fish-eye effect, so that all of the 25m-diameter can be made visible. When you combine this with the fish-eye effect that we use to represent the ATLAS detector, this may give you a sense of the scale.
    Check out some of the wonderfully-detailed information about the ATLAS inner detector.

Many times, OCV events will be just slightly displaced from the center, and they are typically pretty easy to discern. You might get lucky and see a particularly good viewing angle while classifying an event. Sometimes the Slice view is most helpful, and yet other times the Normal view allows you to more easily identify OCVs. The different views are part of the experience in this project - you don't need to concern yourself with finding all of the OCV's with perfect accuracy every time. You can see the first results from this project in this post:
    First HiggsHunters paper released today

This explains that human classifiers are approximately on-par with the AI, when it comes to classifying these events.

Posted