Higgs Hunters Talk

What is going on in this pic?

• megamateo by megamateo

This is my first time doing this. I see a lot going on here. If I am correct. There are off center vertices.

Posted

• mike-ds by mike-ds

You click on lines that intersect, and look as if the the intersection point could have arisen from an (invisible) track coming directly out from the centre. The computer tries to reconstruct tracks and often goes too far and backtracks past the origin. This means that to be safe, you click not only on clear OCVs (which begin at a vertex), but also on potential OCVs with backtracking extensions, such as the large crosses on the right hand side of your example (one at 3.00 o'clock, another at 3.30). I would also go for the crossing lines at 12.30 and 8.00. Examples of clear OCVs and a potential backtracked OCV (in the toughies) are given in the tutorial present on the classification page.

Posted

• megamateo by megamateo

thank you for the info. everyone once in a while I find different colored circles at random points. what is going on with them?

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to megamateo's comment.

The coloured circles or ellipses you sometimes find in these images are just artifact. And you shouldn't mark them as anything weird.

See the FAQ for more information.

Posted