Higgs Hunters Talk

Huge bundle of particles with many trapezoids

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator

This image is much different from most others. There are a whole lot of particles from one OCV which seems to produce two bundles of particles, each with a lot of particles.

However, I don't see any indication of bottom quarks or other especially-energetic particles.

Also, there are trapezoids all over the detector. This is one of the most odd I've ever seen on this project.What happened in the collision here?

Posted

• alanbarr by alanbarr scientist

The trapezoids are representations of "jets" of energy being deposited i the calorimeters. Why there is quite so much energy, but rather few tracks, is something I don't really understand. It's certainly unusual in that regard. We'll want to follow up on this one, I think...

Posted

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator in response to alanbarr's comment.

Great!

I see that this one was automatically included in my 'Very Interesting Signals' collection, which is supported by a tag group:

Includes #bundle and #ocv and #lots

http://talk.higgshunters.org/#/collections/CHHL000003

If this object proves to be interesting in some way, then maybe these others could help provide more information.

Posted