Higgs Hunters Talk

Interesting muon chamber saturation near measured imbalance

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator

In the Normal view for this object, I see that the red dashed line is surrounded by a lot of "hot" portions of the outer muon chamber.

Is this usually caused by outside forces, like a small portion of a cosmic ray?

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist

Good eye. I looked at other views of the event as well, and I don't see anything else strange or interesting about the event, or any evidence of e.g. a cosmic ray. My guess in this case is that there was some readout error or reconstruction error (wrong calibrations used?) or detector noise (electronic bursts of noise can be caused by large nearby changes in current, like a power supply failing, etc.) in that particular muon area.

This is partially why we always have multiple types of subdetectors (many muon layers, etc.) that are largely independent, to provide confirmation of measurements when one seemingly fails oddly.

Posted

• DiNapoli by DiNapoli in response to andy.haas's comment.

If found something wich seems almost similar to this image, here's the link; http://talk.higgshunters.org/#/subjects/AHH0000p6j here you can also see (not as a line) but a lot of red dots (some clustered) in the muon detector, but here it seems related to the yellow blocks in the calorimeters beneath it. How would you describe this event?, so I can learn from it 'cause I'm not that of an expert but very very curious about particle physics etc. Thank you very much.

(ps. sorry forgot to say the event Is visible at 11 o'clock)

Posted

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator

I found another object kind of like this, except this one appears to have two photons in the detectors along with missing momentum and a punch-through candidate right in line with the missing momentum. A neat one!
    http://talk.higgshunters.org/#/subjects/AHH0000lc1

Posted