Higgs Hunters Talk

No more classifictions are loaded

• LHCByloved by LHCByloved

Hi there

I suddenly experience this since yesterday after doing many pictures, when wanting to go to the next picture to classify the site does not load any more pictures.

When I responded "No" to the talk question, the site kept hanging and I had to reload, than it kept black in classification area, the same occurred when going from talk back to classify, than it also loads "blank". And since than it stays that way when site being loaded.

Only if I log out, classifications are loaded again properly and after logging back in at that point when it loaded, I am able to do 10 pictures and than the described situation appears again and no more data is loaded. Tried this several times (log out, load site, log in and see what happens) to make sure, this issue always appears the same way.

Before I had no problems and I did not change anything on my machine, have appearing this with all browsers now, cleaning cache, cookies and so on does not help.

This is how it looks like:

blank classification area

I did a really huge load yesterday and within a few days before that for many hours, feels like I somehow ran out of data. 😃

Greetings,
    Bylo

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

I'm experienced the same thing. I did notice shortly before it happened that I was served up repeats quite a few times. So maybe no more data?

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

I'm still getting the same:

No more data

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

I'm using Google Chrome version 39.0.2171.95 m (latest) on Windows 8.1 x64 (all updates applied)

I've tried clearing cookies several times. After clearing, I get served up 1 classification and then nothing.

Posted

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator

I have experienced similar issues in Google Chrome (version unknown at this time) on Window 7 Enterprise edition x64. No classifications were loaded on the screen. I tried twice, but was never able to use Chrome with this site. Internet Explorer 9 behaves much the same, but that's to be expected with such an old browser.

Mozilla Firefox has functioned well for me up to this point. Changing the browser may function as a workaround if clearing cache/cookies doesn't help much. The Zooniverse or project team may need to address something with the website's code to address browser issues like this.

Hang in there, and I'm sure someone will respond to these messages - however there may be a short delay due to the holiday season.

Thank you!

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Installed Latest Firefox. Let me classify a few, then stopped working with exactly the same symptoms. Very disappointing.

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

I suspect it's related to me attempting to have more than one classify open (in 3 tabs) (did this to speed up load time, as a single page load is very slow). But this was working fine without a single problem for 3 days....

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Also note: I logged into work (via vpn) and tried from there. Same thing: windows 7 x64 latest Google chrome. I would also note that first time I accessed classify I saw the green banner for the first time ever (telling me I'm first to see this event, which it didn't display)). So odds are, it's a bug in your software!

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

OK: after clearing cookies site served up classifications until I pressed the 'yes, lets see the comments' button after classifying an image. Then it stopped serving images.

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Update to that last post. Cleared cookies, logged in. Served up 5 images to classify then stopped working!
    Logged out, cleared cookies, served up 8 images, tried to mark 8th clicked 'No'. Nothing. Definitely a bug.

If I logout, I immediately get served images to classify. On the 5th asked me if I want to login/register. I log in, sometime after a number of image I try to click 'No' and then nothing.

Posted

Hi there

Just to make completely sure that it may be a bug and not a problem on my side, meanwhile tried on both my machines (Mac OS 10.8 + Linux Fedora 20 and also Virtual Machine Ubuntu 14.04) with some different common browsers, everywhere the same symptoms appear as described.

Higgs obviously got tired from being hunted and wants some holiday....

I'll stay tuned. 😃

Greetings, Bylo

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey everyone, I'm back from my holiday break.

Let me make sure that I understand properly... It's letting people classifying several images, but after serving somewhere between 5-10, you get a blank screen? And does it mostly happen when you are logged in?

Our back-end developers are also still mostly out, so it may take me a little while to get someone to look at this, but this seems to be a issue that may be associated with the one that serves a black screen for "you are the first one to see this image..."

This stuff is easier to fix the more we can lock down exactly what's causing it... but it seems clear that there is definitely an issue with serving images.

EDIT: Also, so, it seems to fix itself--but sometimes only temporarily--when one clears one's cookies?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Alright, so, I've talked with our developers; here's what I've got... They think that the issue is caused by people running out of data to classify. It looks like a lot of the data has been temporarily suspended to work out bugs.

I've had them go ahead and put in a notification that will formally let you know if you have run out of available data.

Please let me know if you are continuing to have issues without getting that notification... and, for that matter, let me know if you are getting that notification, too.

Thank you all!!

Posted

Hi there

Just checked again, now instead of a blank screen it says (which it did not before):

Looks like we're temporarily out of data to classify. Please check back later!
    In the meantime, check out some other projects in the Zooniverse!

So, it works now without getting stuck and this message being shown instead.

Thank you!

Greetings, Bylo

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Excellent! Good to know that we got that working. I'll try to keep people updated on where we are as far as getting additional data up, but I expect it probably wouldn't be until after the holiday/New Year's break is over. Thank you!

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Hi

Yes I now see:

Looks like we're temporarily out of data to classify. Please check back later! In the meantime, check out some other projects in the Zooniverse!

Looking forward to more data!!!

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

BTW: site is now only serving up simulated data.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Looks like someone from the team released some more of the simulated data that was previously paused, so that people who had run out of data would have something to work on.

However, that ends up presenting our hardest-working classifiers with nothing but sims, which isn't great, either...

I'm going to see what I can do to get some more real data up ASAP. Thanks for alerting me!!

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Still just simulation data....(I know it's xmas and all)

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I've got a ratio of 2/5 real data and 3/5 sims. Not too bad ! ;D

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

@ElizabethB: that's because you haven't seen all the current real data yet.

I was apparently too eager and classified all real current data (in a short time)

When you have classified all available real data, your ratio will be 5/5 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm working on trying to get everyone new non-sim data ASAP! 😃

In the meantime, doing the sims really DOES help, but if it's not for you, we have several other projects that could really use your efforts in the meantime! Cyclone Center is a great one, for instance.

We'll be sure to let you know the moment there's new non-sim data released!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It looks like we'll get the next tranche of real data up in 7-10 days.

Hope this helps; look forward to it! 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to mwwm's comment.

Oops, you caught me ! I do 'occasionally' classify on other projects ! ;D

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

@DZM: any news on how the next set of real data is progressing?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Should be sometime this week, they tell me! 😃

Posted

Fingers crossed then ! 😄

Posted

• LHCByloved by LHCByloved in response to DZM's comment.

Hi there

In the meantime, doing the sims really DOES help

Looks like I am now also through with all sims - no more data served to me 😛

But I was OK doing sims as they also help.

Keep my fingers crossed for more collisions. 😃

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Still no new data. 😦

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to mwwm's comment.

My hugest apologies! I'm going to be bugging the holy heck today out of the people who are supposed to be importing it.

They said they were testing out a new uploader on Friday, so I'll get a status update today!

Posted

YEAH!!! New data has arrived .... Happy Higgs Hunting 😃

Posted

Yeah from me too ! 😄

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Yes! There is new data up at last! 😃

Good luck, and I hope to see lots of chatter on Talk over the next few days as you brilliant folk all dig into it! 😃

Posted

• dragonbits by dragonbits

Very exciting to see "you are the first to see this event!"

Posted

Yes ! Isn't it just ! Just knowing that you are literally the first person to see this (even if there is nothing happening! 😄 )/ Just amazing ! 😄

Posted

• davidbundy77 by davidbundy77

I just saw the "you are the first to see this event!" message on an image AHH0000hzl which had been commented on 2 months ago. Hmmm...

Posted

That doesn't seem right !

Posted

Classify has stopped working, I just get the rotating loading image. I can't see any images in Talk either.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Is the interface still broken now? It's working fine for me...

I am noticing that I'm getting the "you're the first to see this event" image for every single thing I look at, which is odd. Is everyone else seeing that, too?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I've put in a bug report about the "first to see this event" thing to see if anything's going on there, but I'm not detecting any issues with the images loading, not from my end...

Posted

No, it's still not working for me. I am using Firefox 35.0 on a PC with Windows 7.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Okay, so, the good news is, the thing with "first to see this event" should now be fixed!

@davidbundry77 , could you please do a quick cache/cookies clear and see if you still have the issue? It's possible that the bug that we just fixed, fixed your other problem as well. On the other hand, perhaps not. So please let me know; thanks!!

Posted

I have cleared the cache and cookies but the problem remains.

Posted

Everything works in Internet Explorer, so clearly a problem with Firefox.

Posted

Problem solved: My Ad-blocker suddenly decided to start blocking all images. I have switched it off for higgshunters and everything is ok again.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Ah hah! Yay! 😃

This is a great example of why we're cautious about issues that are only happening to one person... it's often a local issue, and we want to try to eliminate all potential local issues before we assume it's on our end. We'll add this one to the potential "check your x;" thank you!

However, you were absolutely right with the "first to see" bug... that's on us, and it should be fixed now. GREAT catch!

Posted