Higgs Hunters Talk

Unresponsive site problem

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator

I had problems tonight while browsing collections, discussions and while using the search function. The entire site seemed to bog down and eventually it took more than 45 seconds to load anything.

This is on Windows 7 64-bit with Firefox 33.1 with Ghostery as the only extension/add-on.

The workaround was to sign out and clear cookies for Zooniverse.

I didn't look too much into the root cause of it, but if someone can give me some tips on what I could look for, I'd be willing to help with troubleshooting.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @Whoandwhatitis, thanks for letting us know. It's good to hear that you managed to find a fix.

Typically, problems like this are easiest to fix when they're replicable, or reported by multiple people. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!!

Posted

• undefined by undefined

Hey,
    yes I had it almost at the same time like Whoandwhatitis. "Recent" didnt load and new images at "classifying" loaded very slowly.

But that was only for maybe less then an hour I guess. Everything is fine right now

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl moderator

New images at "classifying" have always been slow for me, but the rest of the site is going fine. Firefox here as well.

Posted

• MWPALMER by MWPALMER

The only two times I have had a 'guess what, you are the first person to view this image message', I have, ironically, not been able to view a single thing. Unless I was looking at a black hole. I am using safari. I tried to comment, but nothing appeared on the comments page either.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

... Hn. @MWPALMER , this only happens with the "you are the first person to view this image?" And all that appears where the image typically does is a black box? Any chance you could screenshot it for me?

Thanks!!

Posted

• Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts by Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts

I get exactly the same as MWPALMER - it's really frustrating - you don't even get the (curiously hypnotic) counter-rotating arcs ... just blackness, infinite and unchanging .... sigh 😦

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

... I am so confused. Counter-rotating arcs? Is the whole site black, or just where the object should be? Can you refresh the site to make it go away? Where, incidentally, does the "first person to view this image" thing appear? And it's only when you're the first person to view the image?

Please help me help you! 😃 I need more details, and preferably your browsers, as well, so we can get this fixed!

Posted

There's a green strap line below the black area where the image appears, saying "Guess what! You're the first person to see this (or classify this) data" the part of the screen where the image appears often has counter-rotating arcs whilst the image loads (it's that kind of 'waiting' symbol) but when you first log in, if you get a green banner (you see the black area 10 lines deep to start so you can see below it) you're guaranteed (?) not to get any data. Refreshing the browser works, but by then you lose the banner so can never be the "first to see this data" which is a shame, and tantalising too. Helps?

Posted

p.s Google chrome I'm on.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Thanks, Mark. @MWPALMER, are you also on Chrome? Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks!

Posted

Hi @MWPALMER I got another one today - first screen (as usual) once I'd logged inenter image description here

Not sure if this is how I attach an image ... but if not e-mail me & I'll send it along (sounds like a Beatles track already?)

Mark

Posted

• MWPALMER by MWPALMER

Sorry, been off for a while. I'm using Safari.

Posted

SORRY! Got confused - was meant to say "Hi DZM" ... I got another one today - first screen (as usual) once I'd logged inenter image description here

Not sure if this is how I attach an image ... but if not e-mail me & I'll send it along (sounds like a Beatles track already?)

Mark

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Best way to post an image right here is to upload it to an offsite image-hosting site. www.imgur.com is one of the best!

Upload it there, post the image, and hopefully we can have something to show the people who fix this sort of thing!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm putting through a bug report for this as several people have mentioned it.

Screenshots would be hugely helpful!

Posted

• randi by randi

I am seeing the same problem.
    I occasionally get a big black box where the image should be with the note: "Guess what! You're the first to see this event." at the bottom.
    If I restart, I get a normal image.
    I am using Firefox.

Posted

• randi by randi

I just had another blank image. When I tried to comment on it I got another blank screen: http://talk.higgshunters.org/#/subjects/PLACEHOLDER_SUBJECT_ZOONIVERSE_ID.
    The next image was fine.

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Solved by deleting all cookies: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=en

Posted

• randi by randi in response to DZM's comment.

Is there a way to post an image without uploading it to an offsite image-hosting site?
    In the Old Weather forum we can simply attach an image directly from our computer.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi Randi--yes, that's because the Old Weather forum uses phpBB, which has that feature. As I understand it, it has server space devoted to hosting users' attachments. The general consensus here at Zooniverse seems to be that Talk should not try to be an image-hosting service as well as a discussion forum. I would have to talk to the more tech-savvy folks here to learn exactly why that's not a feature that they think it's a good idea for us to try and have.

However, I promise that Imgur is incredibly easy to use and takes just a couple of seconds to upload an image! 😃

Posted

• randi by randi

Thanks, DZM.
    I haven't seen it again so far...
    I only saw it a few times, and I followed the suggestion of deleting my cookies.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Cookies do seem to play a significant role. Let me know how it works out for you going forward! 😃

Posted