Higgs Hunters Talk

Slice view centre

• floogy99 by floogy99

New to this. How on Earth do you distinguish where the centre is on the Slice view. On the other 2 views centre is obvious but it can appear to the left or right on slice view

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist

The center on slice view is in the middle, vertically, of the image. There are ~10-20 small ellipses along that horizontal line where proton collisions have taken place. (In the other views, all the collisions are at the same spot, in the middle. But in the slice view, the collisions are spread out! This is because the colliding proton bunches are very thin (~microns) but fairly long (~cm's)).

Posted

• taryneast by taryneast

Ah - right. that the entire horizontal centre line was counted as the "centre" was not immediately obvious to a newbie like me either... I thought it was the crossing of the horizontal and vertical centre... ie a point, not a line.

This should probably also be included in the tutorial.

Posted

• floogy99 by floogy99

Thanks for explaining. I agree this should be made clear on the tutorial

Posted

• Daemongear by Daemongear

that like that. BUT why are some lines curvy?!!??!?! there should be clearly straight. but i got a couple curved! even one with 2 lines that get away from one point and intersect in other!!! gravitons? or other interaction(a strong one)

Posted

• Musashimeli by Musashimeli

Why is there no way to mark a single line with no branches.

Posted

• Marcuandy1981 by Marcuandy1981

Because we are searching for vertexes, with more brenches 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to Musashimeli's comment.

Hi Musashimeli and welcome to Higgs Hunters !

Yep, there is no need to mark single branches . More info here : http://tinyurl.com/Higgs-Hunters-FAQ

Happy hunting ! 😄

Posted

• andygegg by andygegg

Just started on this and I'm more confused than helpful, I fear. The tutorial needs a LOT more info:
    what is the big red dotted line? Does it just indicate the centre?
    how are we to interpret the slice view (I know there's a morsel of help in the FAQette)
    If there's a line from a vertex to the centre should we ignore the vertex as it's a decay of a spotted particle?
    What would classify as 'something strange'?
    With a little more help, I'm sure we'll all be able to spot those exotics!

Posted

• tashipoo by tashipoo

Hi Elisabeth B, is there any way to tell if a slide is a sim on the Recent page ? Or only when they come up on the classify page ? thanks

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to andygegg's comment.

Hi andygegg

Have you seen this ? http://tinyurl.com/Higgs-Hunters-FAQ

Happy hunting ! 😄

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator in response to tashipoo's comment.

Hi tashipoo

I've been away this weekend and I'm still catching up on things.

I searched a bit but I haven't found a way to tell if an image is a sim or not.I will try and find out. 😄

Posted

• jokergirl by jokergirl moderator

ETA: Or possibly not such a good idea to tag things, as the "simulation" comments on the classification page immediately vanished again when I looked in after writing this...

ETA to the ETA: There are some images that are still marked as simulations, but the rate has decreased a lot just now. Might be a fluke, or the result of actually adding new data! Science team, which one is it?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi @jokergirl, there are a series of fixes going into place right now. The team is actively working crazy hard to fix this mess with the simulations. Hang tight. We'll have an official update ASAP.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to ElisabethB's comment.

Having that updated with - accurate - info in sims would seem to be something rather important to do, ASAP.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

We've made some major fixes and posted a comprehensive update and explanation here.

Posted

• JeanTate by JeanTate in response to DZM's comment.

Cool! 😃

Any idea when the (really good!) FAQ thread will be updated too?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

That seems to be @jokergirl 's baby (and, yes, a beautiful baby it is!), so I will leave that to her!

Posted

• Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts by Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts in response to Daemongear's comment.

Gravity does act on these particles, but as its billions of billions times weaker than the other forces at play, it's indistinguishable. The significant forces are (i) the strong force (that binds quarks together into protons via gluons) (ii) the electromagnetic force (which makes charged particles bend in the exceptionally strong magnetic field around the detectors.

Hope this helps. If you want more info try http://physicsforidiots.com/physics/particles-and-forces/ please do not be offended by the website name - it just starts from a fairly sensible point.

Posted