Higgs Hunters Talk

Missing buttons Slice Normal Zoom in Firefox on Linux Mint.

• Space_Cookie by Space_Cookie

Hi,

I just signed up for this but I don't get the buttons to let me choose between Slice, Normal and Zoom views.

I see them (and they work) on the discussion boards but not when I'm trying to classify.

Any ideas?

(Edit) I just tried to add a screenshot and that doesn't work either - the post merely displays non-hyperlinked text (the image description).

(Edit #2) My OS is Linux Mint 17 (64 bit) with all updates, Cinnamon desktop, and Firefox 33.0.

Posted

• DebNicoll by DebNicoll

I also don't see them on safari

Posted

• mrprogguy by mrprogguy

I don't see them in Chrome 64-bit on Windows, either.

Posted

• mrprogguy by mrprogguy

Nor in IE11.

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist

You're presented with a random view for each classification. Switching between them is only supported during the talk.

Posted

• gtmh by gtmh

It would be very helpful if we could go back to the image after looking at it with the zoom and slice, and correct our results, because they then would be a lot more precise, I think. Especially the slice view is very helpful in a clump of lines where you can't be certain if it all originates in the same place, or if there are some vertexes hidden.

Posted

andy.haas said "Switching between them is only supported during the talk."

Well, that's it then. Game over before I even got started. The classification pages may look fine on a nice big 21" monitor but are completely unusable on my small laptop screen without Zoom. I can't even use FireFox's built in zoom because the images resize themselves to fit the screen whatever zoom level I apply.

Why on earth handicap us like this? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Posted

• alanbarr by alanbarr scientist

In fact we thought carefully about this, and there is a good scientific reason for serving up the images separately.

It's because later, when we do a full statistical analysis of the classifications, they are much more suited for good statistical analysis if they are independent, and unbiased. So we get much more science per click this way.

Posted

I don't see how being able to view the images at a reasonable size can influence the independence or bias of my classification. Being restricted to a tiny image just means there will be more wrong classifications due to not being able to see the detail that would be visible if I had a 21" monitor.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I think that the idea, Cookie, is that they want to make sure that every person sees the image at the exact same size so that the accuracy of classifications are consistent. Ironically, I think that it actually makes the data reduction harder/less accurate if some people are a lot more accurate than others because they're always zooming in all the way. That's the superficial version of how I understand it. @alanbarr can probably confirm or correct me?

Posted

• gtmh by gtmh

The statistical explanation does make sense, thanks for explaining. It's a bit frustrating, but I guess you still get enough out of 'our' data as it is. However, some people will go to talk and check what they did right or wrong, which may make them better evaluators later because of more learning. Others won't -- and wouldn't the first set be the same people who'd use the slice and zoom oprions anyway? But never mind, it is great fun to be able to be a tiny part of this.Thanks for that.

Posted

• kater_23 by kater_23

Please tell to the new users that this isn't a bug. Some start updating flash plugin and spend hours to repair their browser to see a few buttons which dosent exist -_-

Posted