Higgs Hunters Talk

What would be "something weird"?

• blackxacto by blackxacto

I can find vertices, but are there pictures of what they consider "something wierd"?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Good question, @blackxacto! I imagine that some examples of "weird" will start popping up around the Talk.

Here's the one that leaps to mind so far: the random little pink circle that appeared on the top-left part of the inner ring here: http://talk.higgshunters.org/#/boards/BHH0000007/discussions/DHH000001t?page=1&comment_id=547620a6415ac130da005f4f

That's an artifact, and probably counts as "something weird."

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist

We don't have pictures of weird stuff - but we're hoping that people will see something weird and alert us!
    What could be weird? Lots of tracks in one tight bunch, or coming out at weird angles but not forming a vertex, or a big amount of tracks on one side but the other side, or lots of energy in the calorimeter (the red/green areas beyond the tracker), or things in the muon system (the outermost detector)... what ever looks weird to you!

Posted

• pczerner by pczerner

You can't evaluate when something's weird until you know what is normal. To me, all the lines are weird.

Posted

• alanbarr by alanbarr scientist

The weirdest things I saw so far I labeled as a #muonjet. That had lots of tracks nearby passing clean through the detector. I've only seen one example so far.

Once you look at a few images you get a bit better feel for what's normal and what's not.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Yeah, I figure after you've been classifying for a while, "something weird" would be "something that looks like nothing I've ever seen before!" 😃

Posted