Higgs Hunters Talk

Question about Higgs and dark energy/dark matter

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator

@Hemendra123 mention the following over on the blog posts thread and I wanted to split this into its own thread:

As Peter Higgs suggested the presence of Higgs field . The increase in
    mass is increase in energy. So , as dark energy an dark matter is
    unknown and both of these provide energy or mass, can higgs field be
    dark matter and energy? This is just my assumption and opinion.

Science Board / General Higgs Hunters Discussion > Higgs Hunters Blog Posts

I hope you don't mind me posting this over here, Hemendra123. I figure it might get more attention in this discussion board.

Posted

• alanbarr by alanbarr scientist

Interesting question.

The Higgs field does have energy associated with it, and the Higgs boson does have mass. But neither have exactly the right properties to be Dark Matter or Dark Energy. Let me see if I can explain. Since Dark Matter has hung around for billions of years any particle responsible for it has to be stable - whereas the Higgs boson decays within a fraction of a second. So the Higgs boson can't be Dark Matter. However a new stable Higgs-like particle could be the Dark Matter.

The Higgs field does have some of the properties required for dark energy, since it provides and predicts energy in the vacuum. However the amount of vacuum energy predicted by the Higgs theory seems to to be larger than is needed for cosmological observations by a really huge factor. This is known as the "Cosmological Constant Problem" and is not really understood by anyone. Good question, and an active area of research.

Posted

• Rummyjer by Rummyjer

I have photos of electromagnetic wave electromagnetic waves coming off power lines is this related at all?

Posted