Higgs Hunters Talk

An unusual(?) event

• mwwm by mwwm

I noticed a relatively infrequent occurance of very high curvature (high charge or low momentum?) tracks as noted here

Could Andy.Haas or any other scientist provide some information on what these particles are?

Thanks, Mitch

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Nice collection of objects, @mwwm -- thank you for sharing! I too will be interested in Andy's thoughts.

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist

Most likely they are just low momentum particles, or fake tracks (random combinations of detector hits that happen to align).

I do like this OCV though: http://talk.higgshunters.org/#/subjects/AHH0000voe
    It is real data!
    Notice though that it is exactly in a silicon sensor, in both the zoom and slice views. This is a sign that a particle hit the sensor and created a secondary spray of tracks. Not a new kind of particle unfortunately.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Silicon sensor... is that the pink coloration?

I notice that, for once, the computer has perfectly identified the branches and the location of the vertex.

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist

The silicon sensors are the slightly overlapping rectangles that are in concentric circles (in the zoom view). They have a high density of little dots in them, which is where particles have been detected going through them. (There are also dots elsewhere in the zoom view, since there are other sensors not shown in this view, in a plane perpendicular to the proton beams.)

Posted