Higgs Hunters Talk

New data!

• DZM by DZM admin

Hey everyone!

Just a heads up that we have just today released a bunch more data on the site!

We've also reactivated a good percentage of simulations, as the science team says that they are extremely important to extracting useful scientific data from this project. The percentage of simulations is aligned to the team's requests and needs, so don't worry if you're seeing many of them... they're just as important as the non-simulated data.

Let me know if you have any questions, folks... thanks!!

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Only seeing simulations 😦 Haven't see a single non-simulation.....I think someone may have goofed....

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

Classified approx. 250. Every one was a simulation....

Posted

• LHCByloved by LHCByloved

Same thing here, so far in over 400 classifications I had only 3 real data, not minding the simulations themselves, but it may not be the intended "good percentage of simulations" being 99% 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Well, that's not good. Let me see what I can do... in the meantime, please feel free to keep it up with the sims, we do need that done as well! 😃

Thanks for the heads up and for your work!!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

So, here's what I've learned:

The reason that you two are getting all, or almost all, sims at the moment is because the new real data--although it is uploaded--won't actually be released to people who have classified all of the existing data until more of that active real data is completed.

In other words, as I understand it, each time a subject is finished/retired, a new one is released from the backlog. (Which is why you may have seen a couple of real images sprinkled in there.) But not until then. That keeps the total number of active subjects the same at all times, which increases the speed at which objects are completed (since everyone participating is looking at the same 10,000 objects).

We had a big discussion, and a dev agreed to release another 10,000 real images for the two of you, probably sometime tomorrow. However, be aware that at some point, you're going to probably burn through those as well, given the awesome rate that you guys work! We appreciate it hugely... but at that point, it may be necessary to step away try a few other projects for a while, to let everyone else catch up!

Does that make sense? 😃

Thanks to both of you so much for your devotion; hope this helps!!

Posted

• LHCByloved by LHCByloved

Thanks a lot for that detailed and helpful response!

Well, I fully understand the issue of being too far ahead and therefore actually getting such a high rate of sims instead of new data (or at some point even running completely out of data as happened once before), was not aware of this before.

and a dev agreed to release another 10,000 real images for the two of
    you, probably sometime tomorrow. However, be aware that at some point,
    you're going to probably burn through those as well

Ah, that sounds great! Thanks!

And now with being aware, I'll see to do slower chunks, like gourmets do, haha chewing on tasty Higgs boson (if catching one). 😃

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

LOL ! And thanks so much for all your hard work ! 😃

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

@DZM: thanks for all your efforts.

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

still seeing only simulations....

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

I get a real one every now and then ! 😄

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

That likely means you've classified a lot of images but not all yet ....

I've just seen a real image, first in several hundred! Yay!

But,....that's it. Just 1 real image. In maybe 500....

Update: seen 3 real images.

I would have expected to see more than that.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Oof. I'm trying to work with a developer to figure this out, but... I just don't know. I'm sorry. I'm trying! 😦

I had him look at your own stats, @mwwm ... You've done 18,000 images of 23,500 that are currently either active or retired. He's positive that he just released 4,000 more real images into the set. For some reason--he says you're unlucky--you're not being served them.

He's still looking into it, but from my perspective, what I can say right now is... if you keep classifying, it will HAVE to serve you that real data eventually, before it stops being able to serve you anything at all because you've done everything! 😃

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

I'd be surprised if I were that unlucky! It would have to be some pretty wacky distribution. (although I've seen code where devs have tried to improve the randomness of a lcm generator, but I'm sure your dev wouldn't do that. 😃 )

Perhaps the bug is that the simulation data label is appearing when it should not?

[If I can help at all, I have 25+ years as a software developer, and would be happy to lend a hand]

[BTW: I have noticed that images load much faster than before]

Posted

• mwwm by mwwm

In the last few hundred I've classified, I've started seeing some real event images.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to mwwm's comment.

We just made another change; great to see that it's taking hold!

I think that the problem was that the dev reactivated data that you had already seen, not stuff that you hadn't. 😃 At least, that's my oversimplification of it.

Unfortunately, once you burn through these (and boy do we appreciate your doing so!), we're probably going to have to ask that you find a new project to play with for a while. 😃 Sorry! We can't activate any more than this if we want to get anything completed any time soon; we'd be spreading the classifications too thinly.

Oh, and if you'd like to help on a dev angle, we do have some opportunities on our open-source projects. Are you familiar with GitHub? Our developer recommended that I share this with you: https://github.com/zooniverse/ ... I am not a dev, so I don't know if you need context on that, but feel free to look around and offer any help if you can!

Posted