Higgs Hunters Talk

Muon from detector area, separate from other muons

• Whoandwhatitis by Whoandwhatitis moderator

Hello @mc7,

It looks odd that in Slice view we see a muon that originates from somewhere other than the track of another muon. I don't think I see this often. I assume when you were asking about a "branch", you were referring to this muon (green track) seen at 110° in Normal view.

Nice find!

Could it be that the path of the third muon isn't drawn all the way back to the other muon, and that's why it doesn't appear to originate from that track?

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist

I'm afraid that isn't a 3rd muon (it would have a red line at the end like the other two). Sometimes a track is assigned to a vertex which is labeled green - so easily confused with a muon.

Posted

• DiNapoli by DiNapoli

I want to add extra weight to that response 😉 I've asked a similar question yesterday @andy.haas and the answer was that green lines can also be vertexes In this case there Is only one track but if there where two of them the green colour only indicates them belonging together so it doesn't have to be a muon. Also muons travel in straight lines to the outer rings and not like the "curved" lines from vertexes/branches.

Posted