Higgs Hunters Talk

Single whitte tracks nor originating on center line

• ccardon by ccardon

I'm seeing a lot of single white tracks that don't originate on the center line. I went back to the instructions and didn't see anything about these. So I'm marking them as "something weird". But they occur so frequently they must be known. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted

• alanbarr by alanbarr scientist

Stray white lines can be caused by #cosmic #muon tracks, or by gas atoms being knocked about by the beam of the collider. It's good to mark them as 2-track vertices if you can manage. But because they can be other things they are less important to mark than multi-track vertices.

Posted

• Eldiroth by Eldiroth

So you would prefer that we mark where these white line segments intersect? I can start doing that, but there are a lot of them, and I didn't want to be marking stuff that was probably nothing.

Posted

• randi by randi

I am a bit confused here. Are we talking about marking single white lines or single white lines that cross?
    On the Toughies tab on the Classify page it says: "Finally, occasionally you might see single white lines appearing from nowhere, you can ignore these too.".

Additionally, I see 4 points where single white lines cross.
    Should the one at about 10:30 be marked as a vertex?
    If I understand correctly, the 3 crosses at about 1:00 cannot all be off center vertices. Which, if any, should be marked?

More examples would be helpful!

Thank you!

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Hi randi,

There is no need to mark single white lines. As for lines that cross, you can mark them. If they cross at a wide angle they are probably not ocv's, so no need to mark those.

Hope this helps.

Posted

• randi by randi

Yes, thanks.

Posted