Higgs Hunters Talk

Different colors ?

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Do the lines coming from off-center vertices all have to be the same color or can they be in different colors ?

Thanks

Els

Posted

• koranzite by koranzite scientist

The colours are added by the computer, but sometimes the computer doesn't see all the tracks. Count all of them, regardless of the colour.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB moderator

Okay, duly noted ! 😄 Tx

Posted

• Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts by Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts

Please can someone give us a list of what the colours of the lines mean? I know it isn't relevant for us, I'm just interested to know and I'd be grateful ... 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Hi Mark! From the FAQs:

Q: Why are some lines a different colour? - A: Edited: @andy.haas: "The colors indicate when the computer thinks tracks belong to the same vertex. But you should mostly ignore them and count the vertex tracks yourself, no matter the color."

I think that the green lines do denote something unique... muons, perhaps? But the other colors are otherwise meaningless. Your eyes are better than the computer at finding OCVs!

Posted

• Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts by Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts in response to DZM's comment.

Ah! OK - I'd always assumed they were classified based on charge (direction of bending), energy (curvature) etc. I had been wondering why some e.g. muons weren't bent in the mag field, despite being charged. Maybe the e/m ratio is too low to be affected??

Posted

• Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts by Mark_..._a_physicist_of_sorts

p.s. nice to know we're still better at some things, despite what Hawkins may fear 😃

Posted

• andy.haas by andy.haas scientist in response to Mark ... a physicist of sorts's comment.

The muons do bend, but the ones here are quite high energy, so they bend very little.

Posted